Kylie Johnston is a Psychology student at UBC Okanagan in Canada. She recognised that she had developed an eating disorder in September 2020 and is currently well into her recovery journey. Kylie is a passionate mental health advocate and reached out to me to share her story of recovery to help and inspire others.
JUST EAT NORMALLY PODCAST EPISODE 43
In this episode we discuss:
– Factors that led to the development of an eating disorder, including becoming vegetarian, life changes, the Covid-19 pandemic and isolation
– Changes in thinking style and unhelpful thought patterns that are common during an eating disorder
– The impact of the eating disorder
– Food rules, compensation mechanisms and exercise addiction
– Kylie’s turning point and how her family helped in find the motivation to recover
– The aftermath of an eating disorder
– Benefits that Kylie experience from working with a dietician and therapist during recovery
– Similarities in our stories; I share some of my experience of an eating disorder
Apologies for my baby brain, this episode was recorded back in May 2022 when I had a 2 month old! Despite that, I think that we cover a lot of very important points and concepts in this episode.
Episode 3 – What’s it like to see an eating disorder dietician? with Talia Cecchele
Episode 13 – Exercise, weight-loss, metabolism and rest with Faye Townsend
Episode 23 – Flow with Chlo on how to get your period back
Please remember that this podcast shares opinions and information, it isn’t for the diagnosis or treatment of an eating disorder, mental or physical health issues.
or search “Just Eat Normally” on your podcast platform